Monday, October 12, 2020

2020: The year of lemonade




2020: The virus, the 'rona, COVID, the quarantine, the shutdown. And a layoff for me, and temporary work stoppage for Dawn.

I've always been a glass-half-full guy, but this year has definitely challenged me. I cried, I questioned, I second-guessed, and I worried.

But along the way I had some amazing friends who offered me some small odd jobs, and somehow I darn near turned myself into a handyman of sorts.

Life gave me lemons. But friends gave me some sugar, and I made a big ol' batch of lemonade while the world argued about masks.

This is my life update, and a two-fold nudge: One of encouragement if you're going through a difficult season, and one of being that friend when someone else is struggling.

It was April, and I had just finished a week of furlough. I learned that my 3 weeks of unpaid time off was changing to an elimination of my position. The years of struggles in the newspaper industry finally knocked on my door, and within a few days I was cleaning out my work desk and turning in my laptop and building key, just like I had seen so many friends and co-workers do. 

After a couple weeks of being butt-hurt, I picked up a couple of small mowing jobs, helped a friend lay some pavers at the back of his house, and then decided to let the Facebook world know that I might be interested in doing some landscape / yard work if anyone was interested. That led to one small job, and some more mowing work. Next thing I know I'm sanding a 1,000-square foot deck, hauling and spreading mulch and loading up field stones from a friend's pile of unwanted rock and delivering it to a customer to line their flower beds. These jobs, mostly, were that sugar I was talking about friends providing. Don't ever underestimate the importance in helping a friend. I will forever remember how these friends reached out and hired me as a show of kindness and God's love, when they didn't have to.

I also had the opportunity to work with my son two days a week for most of the summer, and what a treat that was to see what he had learned, and to watch him command his work. Drew's trailer-backing skills? Impressive!!! And it put us in a truck together for a few hours a week to have some meaningful conversations, and some fun conversations.

Along the way I got a shout-out for doing good work, and someone I haven't seen in decades heard about that and suggested me to a friend, which led to some part-time work basically all summer long, cleaning up their many, many flower beds, delivering and spreading mulch, trimming trees, and transplanting plants (my over-aggressiveness removing a rose bush put me on the DL for a while, but that's a story for another day). 

I even took on a job inside a new home, hanging some custom-ordered blinds and installing hardware on cabinets. You know, super basic tasks for lots of people, but jobs that forced me to lean on YouTube for tips. 

I was thoroughly enjoying the work. It felt good to be busy, to sweat and to be outside in the 90-degree days of June and July. I actually had a moment where I wondered if I could start my own business and sustain this. But winter scared me, and there was a need for a job that provided health insurance.

During all of this, applications were filled out and resumes submitted, including for 2-3 jobs that on paper looked like a very good fit for my skills. Because you know, when your skills are writing, editing, website management and social media, good fits aren't all over the place.

On a couple of occasions, a good friend had mentioned to me the idea of changing industries and trying my hand in the world of insurance, where he has built a respected company.

And that is where I have landed. I'm joining the team at Unified Group Services, and I'm beyond excited to go to work at a business where management cares about the employees, where they empower people to learn and grow, and where they place a priority on the health of the employees. I'm ready to dig in and learn new skills and see where things go in a new future.

There's some uncertainty about such a big change, but I believe this is where God wants me, and if you were part of my support system the past few months, you're appreciated more than you know.


9 comments:

  1. Phil,
    What a great column! I'm so happy for you that you have landed on a new career, and that you had all those other jobs along the way until you found the one you felt God wanted you to sign on for permanently. All the best to you, Dawn and the family! I didn't know that you had a blog. I will have to check out some of your other posts. Take card, Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I might be among the most random and sporadical bloggers ever. I go months without anything new, and sometimes I feel like my writing is not much more than rambling. But it's an outlet. :)

      Delete
  2. That's great news and good read! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great read! Determination and perseverance, at it’s best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like God has landed you where He wants you to be. Blessings in your new venture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed the perspective and pictures! Well done! Good luck on the next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that must've happened right after we had lunch in Daytona. Sorry seems like the wrong expression when you have such a sunny outlook. I sure hope life is better beyond the news biz for you. You're a good guy and it's great to hear about your perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phil, didn’t know any of this. I’m truly sorry about the newspaper job but not surprised. So very happy you landed on your feet, but again not surprised. Good things happen to good people.

    ReplyDelete